JOB TITLE: OFFICER, INTERNAL AUDIT
The purpose of the role is to perform objective, independent, and reliable assessments on the effectiveness of the Bank’s risk management activities, its compliance with applicable regulations, and its internal control-environment. Execution of audit duties in the planning, scheduling, coordinating, reviewing and reporting in line with professional auditing standards and bank audit requirements.
- Audit planning
- Audit execution
- Audit reporting
- Monitoring and follow up
- Plan and conduct risk-based & compliance audits in line with the work plan. Prepare engagement audit plans for individual assignments as per the work plan allocations.
- Review and develop audit programs and testing procedures relevant to risk, compliance and audit objectives for audits allocated.
- Assess and evaluate key processes as identified in the risk assessment during assignment planning.
- Identify internal controls issues for key risk processes during planning to adequately test controls and processes.
- Perform audit procedures to verify the design and effectiveness of controls through testing and interacting with the relevant staff.
- Ensure successful completion of assigned/planned audit engagements, from start to finish, inclusive of preplanning, fieldwork and wrap up activities.
- Use audit project management tools to record and track an audit project progress.
- Prepare of audit files for assignments allocated and ensure proper sign-off & filing of working papers.
- Carry out spot checks on keys areas such as cash count etc.
- Assess, evaluate and advise management on how to achieve statutory/ legal compliance;
- Prepare draft audit reports of key risks identified during execution and their respective root causes.
- Discuss audit findings and recommendations with the directors and departmental heads; identify and communicate control issues noted, offering practical solutions relevant to business and related risks.
- Prepare and submit timely, quality audit reports for review.
- Assess, evaluate and advise management on how to achieve statutory/ legal compliance through specific and insightful recommendations.
Monitoring and Follow Up
- Consistently monitor progress of implementation on the agreed management action plans by way of tracking and follow- up audits and report on any gaps observed.
- Develop and maintain productive client and staff relationships.
- Conduct ad-hoc/ special investigations and reviews as requested by management or Board Audit & Risk Committee (BARC).
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by Internal Audit Manager from time to time.
Decisions for this job are restricted to audits allocated as per the work plan.
- Risk classification of an audit observation. i.e. whether High, Medium or Low
- Verify implemented management action plan to confirm that they are adequate to satisfactorily address observed control gaps.
The Internal Audit Officer makes recommendations to the Internal Audit Manager on actions to be taken. Actions will only be taken upon approval of the recommendations.
In making the recommendations, the Internal Auditor will be guided by;
- Bank’s approved policies and standard operating procedures
- Relevant and applicable Acts such as the Banking Act of Kenya, POCAMLA, etc.
- Regulation – Prudential guidelines, Risk Management Guidelines
- Professional standards from ICPAK, IIA
- University degree in business preferably in accounting or finance from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in auditing or a minimum of 5 years operations experience in a bank.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
- Team player
- Report writing and general communication skills
- Ability to frequently travel for long periods and on short notice.
CPA and/or CIA and/or CISA
Fill in the job application form below.